qara.info has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of selected credit card products. qara.info and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone, and the content has not been provided nor approved by any of the companies mentioned. Thank you for supporting this independent site.

Betterment.com Stock Asset Allocation Updated 2011

(Update: Betterment has a new promo for a $100 bonus with $10,000 investment held for at least 60 days. This is a bigger bonus with bigger requirement than the previous $25 bonus for a $250 investment. In case you wanted to know, my $1,000 … [Read the rest]

The Last Lecture: Legacy, Achieving Goals, and Gratitude

The late Randy Pausch became well known as a Carnegie Mellon professor who made a inspirational "last lecture" called Achieving Your Childhood Dreams (over 14 million views) after his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. He later then wrote a book … [Read the rest]

Free One Year Subscription to Economist & Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine

(Update: Looks like this deal is over.) I know that there are some Economist readers out there, and it's a pretty expensive subscription. Right now the site NEAmag.com/2011FREE is offering a one-year subscription for free (51 issues) with no … [Read the rest]

Veteran’s Day: Top Requested Gifts For Soldiers In Afghanistan

Why not observe Veteran's Day with a useful gift for a current soldier? My wife's co-worker is currently serving in Afghanistan, and he sent over a list of requested items from his unit. I've also read through several recommended lists online - … [Read the rest]

How To Get Cash From Citibank Balance Transfers

(Update: Since the Citi Diamond Preferred Card post generated some questions, I've updated this post for the new Citibank online interface. Even though I first wrote this way back in 2005, the steps are pretty much the same. Just be sure to note the … [Read the rest]

Goal Update: Investment Portfolio Asset Allocation & Holdings – Nov 2011

Time for another update of my investment portfolio, including employer 401(k) plans, self-employed plans, IRAs, and taxable brokerage holdings. Asset Allocation & Holdings You can view my target asset allocation here, along with link to other … [Read the rest]

Capital One Cash Rewards Review: 1% Cash Back On Purchases + 50% Bonus Every Year

Update: This offer is no longer available. The Capital One® Cash Rewards earns 1% cash back on all purchases, a 50% bonus on the cash back you earn every year. As long as your card is still open at the end of the year, that's a total of 1.5% … [Read the rest]

TreasuryDirect.gov Security Login Changes 2011

TreasuryDirect.gov is the official US Treasury website that allows individuals to directly buy securities online, including savings bonds and Treasury bonds. The problem is that they don't want to take any responsibility for unauthorized access to … [Read the rest]

Goal Update: Home Equity Historical Chart – Nov 2011

We closed on our mortgage refinance about a month ago, the old loan has been paid off, and we are just about to make our first payment on the new loan. Still, I always seem to go back and forth between different possible scenarios of paying down the … [Read the rest]

Dogs of The Dow Performance Worse Than Index Fund

I've gotten a few questions about the Dogs of The Dow, which is a stock-picking strategy that involves buying equal amounts of the 10 highest-yielding stocks from 30 companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. At the beginning of each year, you … [Read the rest]

Supply and Demand: Technical vs. Humanities College Majors

Alex Tabarrok of Marginal Revolution writes that College Has Been Oversold: Education is the key to the future: You've heard it a million times, and it's not wrong. Educated people have higher wages and lower unemployment rates, and better … [Read the rest]

Bank Poll: Where Is Your Primary Checking Account?

There has been a lot of commotion about banks and debit card fees recently. Fees were tested, added, announced, removed, and probably soon, added back indirectly. However, megabanks still have the power of inertia and convenience. I am betting that … [Read the rest]

220km.net/