qara.info has partnered with CardRatings for selected credit cards, and may receive a commission from card issuers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone, and has not been provided nor approved by any of the companies mentioned. Thank you for your support.

Vanguard Lowers My Portfolio’s Fund Fees… Again!

There will always be debate regarding investing in actively-managed stock pickers vs. passive index followers. But even for active managers, costs matter more than star ratings and past performance. The lower the expenses, the less headwind year … [Read the rest]

AmazonLocal: $10 Amazon GC for $5

If it wasn't for the ads on my Kindle (no good offers recently... boo), I wouldn't even know that Amazon had their own Groupon-clone called AmazonLocal. I don't even bother subscribing to any new copycat sites other than Groupon and Livingsocial, … [Read the rest]

What Do People Regret The Most On Their Deathbeds?

Bronnie Ware was a nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last weeks of their lives, and recorded her experiences in a blog. She wrote an excellent post about the most common regrets of the dying, which … [Read the rest]

Kiva Microfinance Loan Update & Default Rates

I have been lending some money to people through Kiva microfinance to help alleviate poverty since 2007. While reinvesting some funds that were paid back, I noticed that I just reached $1,000 in money lent out through 40 loans of $25 each. Kiva … [Read the rest]

The Ethics of Credit Card Rewards and Bonuses

The NY Times has a regular column called "The Ethicist", and it recently talked about credit card rewards. A reader writes in and asks: When shopping at big retailers, take up the offer for a new credit card to take advantage of the, say, 10 … [Read the rest]

TIPS and Historical Breakeven Inflation Rates

The Calafia Beach Pundit has an interesting discussion on TIPS (inflation-linked bonds). What caught my eye was a nice chart of historical TIPS real (after-inflation) yields vs. Treasury nominal yields. The difference is what inflation would … [Read the rest]

More Statistics On 401(k) Target Date Retirement Funds

Just as theorized by a previously-mentioned academic paper about target funds, a new Bloomberg article talks about how some mutual fund providers like PIMCO and Invesco are now adding things like commodities futures, options, and currency swaps into … [Read the rest]

Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion Compatible Version Released

I know that there was some noise when the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was released and Quicken 2007 for Mac was reported by Intuit to be incompatible with any computer running the new operation system. Next, they release Quicken Essentials for Mac which was a … [Read the rest]

Poor Charlie’s Almanack: Wisdom of Charlie Munger – Book Review, Part 1

Charlie Munger is best known as the long-time friend and business partner of Warren Buffett, and officially as the Vice-Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway. Even though he is Buffett's partner in investing, Munger is different in that he does not enjoy … [Read the rest]

Buffett on Charlie Munger: Work For Yourself An Hour Each Day

I've gotten to the part in The Snowball that involves Charlie Munger. A very interesting person, although perhaps not someone I'd like to have a beer with (I'd feel stupid), he is probably best known as Buffett's long-time friend, business … [Read the rest]

Look Inside the Target Date Retirement Funds in Your 401(k)

If you have a 401(k) plan or similar, then you most likely have a target-date mutual fund (TDF) as the default option. This is a direct result of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA). These funds contain some mix of stocks and bonds, and the … [Read the rest]

Zecco IRA Free Hammock Promotion

Here's a creative IRA promotion from my inbox. Zecco Trading will send you a free hammock if you open a new IRA between March 1st and April 17th, 2012 and maintain a $2,000 minimum account balance for 90 days after initial funding. Traditional, Roth, … [Read the rest]

www.220km.net