qara.info has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of selected credit card products. qara.info and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone, and the content has not been provided nor approved by any of the companies mentioned. Thank you for supporting this independent site.

Stat of the Day: Tuition Discount Rate

Right now, freshmen are moving into dorms all around the country and parents are scrambling to pay the bills. I've written about how many students don't pay sticker price on college tuition, but I recently ran across another statistic that tracks … [Read the rest]

New Class Action Settlements: Naked Juice, Barbara’s Bakery

Here are a few new proposed class action settlements that may affect you. They both involve popular food products that marketed themselves as "All Natural" and ran into some controversy: Naked Juice. If you bought an eligible Naked Juice product … [Read the rest]

LendingClub and Prosper vs. High Yield Junk Bonds

Yesterday, I posted a 9-month update on my $10,000 P2P lending portfolio with loans from Prosper and LendingClub. Every so often it is pointed out that lending unsecured money directly to random people at high interest is not very safe, and you … [Read the rest]

LendingClub vs. Prosper Loan Performance Comparison, 9-Month Update

I invested $10,000 into person-to-person loans in November 2012, split evenly between LendingClub and Prosper. It's been a little over 9 months since then, so I wanted to give a detailed update in addition to my brief monthly updates. The primary … [Read the rest]

New 401k Plan Fee Disclosures Completely Worthless?

I've written about how recent fee disclosure requirements for 401(k) retirement plans have brought a spotlight on bad 401k plans and their potentially embarrassed plan sponsors. But after reading the fee disclosure on my wife's own 401(k) plan, I … [Read the rest]

GMO July 2013 7-Year Asset Class Forecast

It may qualify as market noise, but I admit to looking at the GMO 7-Year Asset Class Forecasts whenever they come out once a quarter (or more often now?). You can read it and other market commentary from Jeremy Grantham (whose opinions I respect) … [Read the rest]

RedBox Instant by Verizon Free Trial Sign-Up

(Updated: Added details about newly-available Roku app.) Redbox, famous for their $1 DVD rental kiosks ($1.20 now), recently launched a movie streaming service called RedBox Instant by Verizon. We like their kiosks and the fact that you can browse … [Read the rest]

Rewards Program Lessons from Perkstreet Financial Shutdown

Perkstreet Financial started in 2010 as a plucky internet bank start-up that told us credit cards were dangerous and unethical, and you should use a trusty debit card instead. They offered attractive features like 2% cash back on all purchases and 5% … [Read the rest]

Vanguard Balanced Fund: The Benefit of Balancing Stocks and Bonds

An important tenet of portfolio construction is diversifying between stocks and bonds. While poking around on Morningstar, I stumbled across a quick real-world example of how this works. Let's say you had $10,000 back on January 1st, 1993. … [Read the rest]

Cost of Convenience: Homemade vs. Frozen Pizza

Inspired by both the book Cooked and my Live Below the Line experiment, I'm doing a series of posts investigating how much extra trouble it is to cook at home. How much time do you really save? How much more does it cost? Plus all the … [Read the rest]

Amazon Student $10 Referral Credit Promotion

Back to School time is here again, and Amazon has a promotion where you get can $10 free credit for each new Amazon Student member that you refer to sign up. If you've got some social media influence in college or just met 100 new friends in your … [Read the rest]

$30,000 Beat-the-Benchmark Experiment Update – August 2013

Here's the August 2013 update for my Beat the Market Experiment, a series of three portfolios started on November 1st, 2012: $10,000 Passive Benchmark Portfolio that would serve as both a performance benchmark and an real-world, low-cost … [Read the rest]

http://220km.net